Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Reyner Banham Loves Los Angeles

Dear Angeleno friend,

It’s true, I’ve been gone for a long time. But I haven’t forgotten you, or the city where you live and I don’t. Hope you’re thriving.

Here’s a link to a 1972 love letter to L.A., as conceived by an English architecture professor who was besotted by the city long before people like him saw anything worth looking at in its helter-skelter welter. Tons of great footage, from Watts to Hollywood to the Gamble House (where he stayed) and the Eames house, long before scenesters were crawling all over it (you know who you are).

I saw this lively, nostalgic program at the Getty a couple years ago, but now -- thanks to the Internets -- you can see it in the comfort of your own home or office.

“You see, I think freeway driving is interesting in and of itself.”

Reyner Banham Loves Los Angeles (52 min.)

Best,
Barak

No comments: