Thursday, April 07, 2005

AZ Lexico, Part 2

As faithful readers recall, my pop plays fast and loose with the language. Now that I'm documenting his best malapropisms, hanging out with him feels kind of like an anthropolinguistic expedition. It adds a layer of excitement and tension to conversations, epecially because I haven't told him I'm doing this. I don't want the experiment to affect the subjects. (What's the term for that? Calling all marketers and scientists.)

OK. Today's gem has been in my back pocket for years. In fact, it's so much a part of my own BZ lexico that I plum forgot to include it in Part 1 of this feature. Which is now a bona fide Recurring Feature.

Honky-donky: Copacetic, a-okay, under control. AKA okey-dokey.

If he ever knew the slang meaning of "honky," he's definitely forgotten it by now. There is no "whitey, you a ass" sense to this locution. It's just the AZ Lexico at its finest.

*

No comments: